Upper School - International Students
We are fully enrolled for 2016-17 and are unable to consider any more international applications at this time.
For 2017-18, we welcome applications from international students who meet our criteria for Upper School admission and who meet the following requirements.
International students should take a TOEFL test to demonstrate that they are proficient enough in English to succeed academically in the Carolina Friends Upper School. (We are looking for scores of at least 90 for applicants to the first year of Upper School and scores of at least 100 for older students.)
International students should also meet one of the following two criteria:
- They must intend to live with immediate family who reside locally for the entire school year; or
- they must be referred to us by a family already affiliated with Carolina Friends School, and this family must either serve as the home-stay family or agree to serve as back-up if another CFS home-stay is identified. We attempt to identify home-stay families only if the student is referred by a family already affiliated with CFS.
To better facilitate the application process for students from China, candidates who reside and attend school in China are required to interview with our partner educational consultant before we will arrange an interview with Admission staff at Carolina Friends School. This consultant will conduct preliminary interviews and facilitate short writing prompts. Bear in mind that our partner consultant does not evaluate candidates; rather they send all information to Carolina Friends School. CFS will then select students to be offered a second interview with someone from the CFS Admission staff. Please contact our partner consultant, Catherine M. Leary, M.Ed., at firstname.lastname@example.org. There will be a $125.00 per hour consulting fee for this service.
In addition, we require the same materials as for all students:
- three years of transcripts
- two confidential teacher recommendations
- a writing sample
- when possible, a parent tour and interview
- when possible, a student visit/interview
If a student visit is not possible, after the rest of the application is complete (transcripts, recommendations, writing sample, consultant screening if applicable), we can arrange an interview between the student and the Head of Upper School via the computer.
To receive an I-20, an international student's family must demonstrate ability to pay tuition and living expenses while at CFS. Because of high demand for tuition aid, CFS does not typically allocate financial assistance to international students.